Thursday, May 19, 2022

Figure-Ground Perception

Chop, chop!

I swung the blade of my paper trimmer today, extracting slim rectangles from my work in progress.

My eyes kept dancing between alternating perceptions as I worked on the extractions. With the larger context removed, a given piece would present as a deep fathomless black background with shapes floating in what appeared to be outer space, especially when I was working close. Then, I'd perch the piece at arm's length and suddenly I could see thick black lines superimposed over colorful shapes that had receded below those criss-crossed streets paved with a Sharpie chisel-tip marker.

And, of course, that is how my days unfold in any case, always shifting between figure and ground, sorting what in my lived experience is illusion from what is not.



In a State of Pure Attentiveness
1.5 x 6" bookmark; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel
on a book page mounted on card stock
abstract
2022
[gift]



On the Receiving End of Unfolding Wisdom
1.5 x 6" bookmark; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel
on a book page mounted on card stock
abstract
2022
[gift]

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Highways and byways, and alleys too. Thanks for these colorful mini journeys for my mind. Delightful :)

carol edan said...

White changes to yellow! Beautiful bookmarks! Could be a black background, but sort jumps out first competing with the red. Interesting conversation!

Simone said...

Love your neuro-art!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila. The movement pleases me, too, and the on ramps, off ramps, passing lanes, bridges, and cloverleafs are free from the tensions and emissions of actual interstate highway systems and traffic jams!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The yellow is actually a burnished gold that my camera, regrettably, couldn't quite catch as such.

Carol, thanks for your use of the word 'conversation'—yes! A conversation : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thank you! It has been such a gift for the past few weeks. Therapy and exploration and discovery and flow in abundance!

Post a Comment