Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Containers

In simplest terms, the basic guidelines for creating neurographic art are essentially these:

    • Use a marker to draw a long, looping, criss-crossing, scribble-like line on paper.

    • Round all corners where lines cross or turn, filling in the resulting gaps with ink (Have I mentioned how much I love rounding out the corners?!).

    • Add color.

What I notice the more I play with this neurographic form is that for me the doodles become structured, supportive containers that invite me into their protective confines to practice my art. Today's container beckoned me to play with size and shape, light and dark, compositional balance, freeform linework, busyness and resting places, and monochromatic neutrals.



The Musky Smell of Fallen Tree Trunks
and Mushrooms and Moldering Damp
4.5 x 5.25"; ink, watercolor, water-soluble and oil pastels
on drawing paper
abstract
2022

 

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I am so enjoying these Dotty. Traveling, resting. Traveling some more. :)

carol edan said...

This piece is amazing! Love your exploration of neutrals with a few brights. I also just love the rounding part... so meditative. The result is soothing as well.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, happy to hear you're enjoying my neurographic art—clearly, I am! Love your simple description: "Traveling, resting. Traveling some more." You've captured one of the wonders of art. My eyes know JUST what you're talking about!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I thought of you as I worked with my neutrals, and thank you for noticing and your appreciation of the hints of bright : )

The rounding part is downright compelling. Once I have a piece in progress, it's all I can do to stop. When I do stop, I have to hide my WIP from myself so as to be able to get anything else done!

Post a Comment