Wednesday, May 18, 2022

All Hands on Deck

I use my hands to create my art; I bring what is inside outside through the agency of my physical body, most specifically my hands.

Yesterday, when writing (also using my hands) my blog post, I noticed I used the expression at hand. I caught myself musing about the expression to hand, an expression I think is the British version of the same concept, i.e. to have something conveniently nearby. 

Similarly, if someone or something is on hand, they are nearby and able to be used if needed.

Then there's the word handy which gets rid of the above potpourri of prepositions altogether.

So, the opening sentence of yesterday's post started with these words:

    I continue to grab what's at hand.

I could have easily have said any of the following:

    I continue to grab what's to hand.

    I continue to grab what's on hand.

    I continue to grab what's handy

Or, I could have phrased my thought in the manner of my youngest sister, Marjorie, who as a child evidently subconsciously sorted out the existing options and created her own:

    I continue to grab what's on handy.

On handy! Top choice, hands down, and one that remains in my active personal lexicon.

---

I have moved my current neuroart experiment along since yesterday, and here's what I have on handy to share with you.



work in progress





4 comments:

Sheila said...

Haha :) WOW! I LOVE that you treat us with two pieces of art for each creation. A black and white that POPs, and then BAM. Gorgeous color. This has me seeing skittles, and red hots and ... what are those called.... good and plenty. Haha. Love the sideways heart at the bottom, with a stone in the middle. EnJOY Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, delighted to hear you say you appreciate when I treat you with more than one piece of art per creation—I sometimes hesitate before doing so, somehow thinking I'm 'cheating' in some way. In the end, my blog is both a gift to share with others and my personal creative diary. I want my diary to be a record of my diary; hence the two-fers. Long way of thanking you for your affirming comment.

Love the bounty of candy you see in this one!

Fun that you saw the heart also. I'd been paying more notice to the larger upside down heart filling much of the left half of this piece. ❤️

carol edan said...

Catching up ! Love the tones of reds and oranges... and the spaces that you have left white, and the peeking of the old paper.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for your faithful commenting, and for 'catching up.' Isn't the old paper compelling? I intentionallly chose mostly transparent paints to give that old print matter its visual impact.

Post a Comment