Thursday, May 26, 2022

At the Water's Edge

I spruce up yesterday's messy-middle work in progress—I mix colors to match early layers, paint additional layers for more depth, bring more fullness and polish to the piece. I get out my ink pens, sharpen the definition of lines, clean up edges. 

Then, nothing. 

The painting isn't in a mood for conversation. It still seems to be in a middle place, now a tidy-middle, a cleaned-up version of itself, a middle that nods off and falls asleep.

I turn my attention to other pursuits.

Some hours later, I return to find that little painting wide awake, chatty, and interactional. It's not shy about prodding and nudging. 

Get messy, it exhorts. Splash around a little! Get some sand between your toes!

So, I do.



Splashing at the Water's Edge
4.5 x 6"; ink, acrylic, and oil pastel on drawing paper
abstract
2022


4 comments:

Sheila said...

Haha :) Love!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I was so glad to find a way to moving this piece along : )

carol edan said...

New phone. I can comment from it.Yay! Love the delicate lace effect!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Happy for you to have a new phone with capabilities that were in absentia from you old phone.

Thanks for your feedback. I like your choice of the words 'delicate lace effect' for the feeling you get with my revised piece.

Post a Comment