Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Tracking Patterns in Geometry

I had the opportunity in high school to take honors-level math classes. I think I was closer to the B- cutoff for eligibility than to the straight A's end of the spectrum, but I enjoyed the logical reasoning and quantitative calculation, liked my teachers, had terrific classmates, and loved doing homework over the phone with best friend Ann. 

Truth to tell, in addition to writing two-column proofs for such suppositions that if AX and BY bisect each other, then triangle AMB is congruent with triangle XMY, Ann and I kept a running multi-column chart on the inside covers of our respective math books in which we made daily entries of what color button-down Oxford shirt each boy in the class was wearing. Was there a pattern? Did they call each other the night before to coordinate?

Not sure what theorem we were aiming to prove!

With an affectionate nod to my glory days in math classes, I opted today to forego the characteristic freeform looping scribble of neuroart in favor of straight-edge lines that offered up geometric shapes. So many corners to round!



We Are Not in Control
4.5 x 6; ink, watercolors, acrylic, and oil pastel
on drawing paper
abstract
2022





2 comments:

Sheila said...

Juicy, splatter, fun. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thx, Sheila! The splatter and the little micro-drops of starlight were fun to create.

Post a Comment