Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Backstage, Part 2

I went to my studio fully intending to paint a sheet of paper with atmospheric neutrals.

But my eye was pulled to a sheet of lifted paint.

More backstories:

1. I think I first learned about lifting acrylic paint from artist Jane Davies. The technique involves no more than periodically stopping to press scrap paper onto the wet surface of whatever work is in progress to lift some paint away. Doing so contributes to delightfully unpredictable organic effects and overall depth. In addition to lifting paint from a work in progress, I often capture last bits of paint from my palette in the same manner.

While the lifted paint is still wet, the lifting paper itself can be used to press prints onto work in progress. 

Once dry, sheets of lifted paint make excellent collage paper.



sample sheet of lifted paints


2. On a Nova Scotia vacation some years ago I purchased lunch at a deli and immediately recognized the paper used to wrap my sandwich for its potential as excellent lifting paper. Win-win-win: great sandwich, great vacation souvenir, great art supply. I now own a box of Dixie All Purpose Food Wrap, the contents of which I use regularly, though never to wrap food.

So, here's my actual new painting start—all purpose food wrap with lifted paint, pulled from my handmade collage paper collection, now adhered to drawing paper with matte medium.



work in progress



4 comments:

Sheila said...

Another artist mentioned deli paper as an important art supply... on my list. Love your happy greens, have fun Dotty :o)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Fun to know you've now got deli paper on your list.

It's tempting to leave my lifted greens as they are … but hahaha, you know me, I won't let them sit!

carol edan said...

I also have a supply of sandwich paper. Use it often along with tissue paper, newsprint plain and printed. You can also roll paint on them and start with mono-printing. Wrinkling the paper leaves a delicate texture on the fresh paint. You have something to react to.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Isn't the sandwich paper great? Much akin to standard issue tissue paper but it has a slightly different quality I like. I often adhere it to a substrate before starting with any paint to get that delicate wrinkled texture to which you refer.

Post a Comment