Friday, November 16, 2018

Resuscitation

This trio started as an experiment on the front porch of a cottage on Beaver Harbor in New Brunswick, Canada.

June, two years ago. Bright blue skies. Fresh air. Early morning sunlight.

Played with acrylic and oil pastel on a long strip of canvas paper. Did some cutting up, fiddled with some superimposing. Brought it home in a pile of several such experiments.

Moved it from drawer to drawer.  Sighed more than once at its incompletion. Fell into some negative self-talk.

Then, a few weeks ago, a bookmark sneaked out of it.

Today, a triptych of greeting cards. Couldn't be more pleased.

You never know!

Just a Ferry Ride Away from Dulse
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic and oil pastel
abstract
2018
Unexpected Port of Call
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic and oil pastel
abstract
2018
Responding to the Prevailing Wind
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic and oil pastel
abstract
2018

8 comments:

carol edan said...

Your treasures never cease to amaze me. Did you add to these or found them ready made?

Sheila said...

Responding to the Prevailing Wind. Oh how that fits me right now. LOL. Your titles Dotty. Funny. Poetic. Psychic. Karmic. Magical.
These are so delightful. There is a childlike exuberance. No. That word is too hoity-toity.
Buoyancy, eagerness, excitement, exhilaration, fervor, spirit, vigor
vitality, zest, abandon, animation, bounce, cheerfulness.
Yeah, all that!
I can see you at your desk, deep in the moment. Scribbling, dabbing, marking. Enjoying ;)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol. You can see the original experiment at my 6/16/17 post entitled "Dulse." I worked on a long horizontal strip of paper and fiddled at the time with cutting a couple of 3/4" strips off one end and pasting them on top of the WIP, one strip in upside-down orientation, the other right-side up but offset slightly. Then, into hibernation it went.

I didn't add to the found compositions above, just cut them from the whole and trimmed the tops and bottoms to my liking and to uniformity of size. Done! As I said, "You never know!"

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Wow, thanks for feedback, Sheila. Love knowing that my titles make themselves known. The energy in these pieces no doubt reflects the energy of my being on vacation in a beautiful spot "away from it all." I think I might have been channeling artist Lewis Noble whom I'd recently discovered and who inspired me to explore looser more playful expression.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Hidden gems in old pieces, waiting to be discovered. Love.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

yes, yes, yes.

Lots of life living/learning through art : )

Joany Kendra said...

Love the cards, love the titles. Kudos to you for successfully resuscitating them!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Oh, so glad you like both the cards and titles, Joje! I just love that in the end, to everything there is a season and right now is this painting's : )

Post a Comment