Thursday, August 23, 2018

Emergency Preparations

When dire weather warnings are broadcast, some folks rush to the grocery store for food and water. I make a beeline for the library.

As I've said before, do not ever leave me without a sizable stack of books on my bedside table.

Painted up another bookmark today. On the back, I wrote a few lines from the following excerpt, an endearing passage that appears in Rebecca Wells's novel Little Altars Everywhere:

The library will only let Sidda and me
check out two books at a time,
which drives us nuts.
We live in the country, I tell the librarian,
we need more than two books to last us!
My daughter and I are fast readers,
we are avid.
But the old bat behind the counter says,
Two books a patron, that's our limit,
no matter where you live.
Sometimes I watch my daughter smuggle
an extra book out and,
even though I know I should,
I just cannot bring myself to stop her.
Sometimes you just have to reach out
and grab what you want,
even when they tell you not to.

Even When They Tell You Not To
1.5x6"; acrylic and oil pastel
abstract
2018
[gift]



12 comments:

carol edan said...

Nothing like a cuddle in bed reading and hearing the patter of rain. Hope its not a bad storm! Love bookmark. Forest, fields, sky and water!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Indeed, nothing like snuggling in to read while stormy stuff does its thing outdoors, but no storm at all here—I was just free associating as I (a) painted the bookmark and (b) began amassing books to take on vacation!

The abstracted landscapyness of the bookmark is courtesy of what my eyes took in during a 2017 vacation in Beaver Harbor, New Brunswick, Canada.

carol edan said...

Have a great vacation!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

mine, mine, mine! And it is absolutely gorgeous on BOTH sides!!!!! I love this. I would like to commission a dozen bookmarks, so I can give them with every book I gift for the holidays...seriously! Wow. You amaze me.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks! Consider it done!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Aren't hand painted bookmarks just the bomb?! So glad you are enamored of yours, yours, yours! Let's talk about a commission—sounds like fun. I'd be honored to consider that : )

Joany Kendra said...

Love the bookmark, love the passage you quoted. As a little girl I remember you reading, reading, reading. I wanted to be like you and read too, but couldn’t find anything that drew me in. When I was ten I read 101 Dalmatians and that was my first experience of being hooked on reading. Nothing like totally losing yourself in a great book!

Sheila said...

LOVE :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Love YOU, Sheila!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Yes and YES! Send me an email! A dozen bookmarks with art and quotes! There are going to be some lucky book recipients on my holiday list!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Joje, love a comment like this because I love the little window it opens into your perceptions of your big sis. Having no sis ahead of me, that relationship is one I've never lived. So sweet to think of your taking note of my reading, reading, reading. Funny to think how early that started. So glad you got hooked! Also glad you love this bookmark and the passage I quoted. That passage warms my heart every time I read it : ) Love you, little sis!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Will do, but after my vacation. Off to Monhegan Island momentarily!

Post a Comment