Monday, November 19, 2018

Multiplication

To multi-ply is to many-fold and, starting at a young age, my son Scott took a shine to folding paper airplanes, which led me to get him a beginner's book of origami instructions and a package of paper, which in turn led him, at age six, to have an exhibit at our public library of origami figures he'd folded, an exhibit that included an 18-inch-long Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton made from 21 squares of paper, each of which had many, many, many folds.

So it is that when I go rag-picking today, I find origami paper among my odds and ends, providing the perfect backdrop to two found compositions extracted from a 2016 improv exercise. Together, these elements become mono-fold greeting cards.

The Sun So Bright It Bounces Off the Water
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic, ink, collage, and watercolor pastel
abstract
2018
sold


The Moon Folds Over and Then Straightens Out Again
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic, ink, and watercolor pastel
abstract
2018

10 comments:

carol edan said...

A small piece of paper that brings a flood of memories! What could be better to start the creative process.!

Simone said...

I love the paintings, and I love the story about Scott! Makes me so much think about my daughter and her visual-spatial learning style ;-). But Scott with his dinosaur goes through the roof! (can you say that?)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I do love all the energy that swirls during the creative process!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone. Wish you could see the paintings live since they (and the origami paper) are much brighter and more vivid than my scanner captured. Scott is all about visual-spatial! And, yes, you can say through the roof : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

What I wouldn't give to have seen that exhibit....:) These are beautiful pieces! The colors - so vibrant! I am intrigued by the process....

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Jen. Scott's origami exhibit was so sweet. He used to ask me for help when he got stuck. Ha! I'd say, 'Tell me what you've done so far and what it says to do next.' He'd start that process and say, 'Oh, I get it now.' My kinda help! Wish you could see these colors live—even better.

Joany Kendra said...

Dotty, your titles are as creative as your art!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Joje. I do enjoy titling my pieces—all part of the creative process.

Sheila said...

Oh I love these worlds, and that awesome story of paper folding excellence. 18 inches!!?? WOW!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Delighted that you, too, love these worlds, Sheila. The wonder of tiny art never ceases to amaze me.

And, speaking of things that amaze me, that origami t-rex did jus that!!!

Post a Comment