Friday, November 23, 2018

Artist Friends

Painting is largely a solitary pursuit for me. I paint in space I've carved from a bedroom in my home. Only occasionally do I paint with others.

Nonetheless, I have many artist friends, mostly via the wonders of the world wide web.

An artist whom I know personally, however, is my 8-year-old granddaughter, Emmy!

When we last drove the 600 miles to visit in October, Emmy had painted a canvas for us. Whenever we visit, there it will be to dazzle us in the room where we sleep.

She's fearless—look at the energy in this piece! the color! the movement! the size of the canvas! the complete freedom of expression!

The sections in the center are for us: Papawi and Gma. Then, moving counterclockwise starting top left, we are held in the embrace of her dada, mama, sister, and Emmy herself!

A w e s o m e !

Emmy's painting
30 x 42"; acrylic on canvas
2018

10 comments:

carol edan said...

At first glance I didn't really notice the letters, only after your explanation! How wonderful to get such pleasure! We call it "nachas"
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/nachas
Yes she is fearless!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

It's grand fun to paint with Emmy and to watch her paint. You'd love having her be a member of your workshop, Carol : ) Love the intro to the word nachas. Great word!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Fearless and delightful!!!!! It must be in the genes?????

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yes, fearless and delightful, Jen! But I think it's a case of reverse genetic inheritance: Emmy is MY mentor; she shows ME what pure expression and a free heart are all about : )

Laurie Mueller said...

How wonderful, Dotty! Nothing more precious. And to answer your question, I haven't been painting too much, (a few dog commissions)but getting slowly back into it. I'm teaching two workshops this winter, so that should be fun! And yes, those grandchildren! Little miracles. 10 months old (and walking!)I want to update my blog soon, so I'll put some photos on. But enough about ME- haha! This is about you and your beautiful works of art. How lucky your grandchildren are to have their artist Grandma!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Laurie, Emmy would no doubt LOVE one of your workshops. Maybe she and I will have to take a trip out your way one of these fine days.

How lucky *I* am to have my artist granddaughter, Emmy. She teaches me so much by how she lives and how she creates.

AMAZING that those 10-month-olds are WALKING! Eager for you to update your blog.

Joany Kendra said...

I LOVE that you have this artistic bond with Emmy! ❤️

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Emmy is my art buddy and mentor : )

Sheila said...

Smiling at the thought of you two in mid creation :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. Definitely smile-worthy : )

Post a Comment