Monday, November 12, 2018

You Never Know

In my mind's ear I can hear perfectly the clop-clop of a horse pulling an open cart down Chepstow Place in London where I lived in 1968, adding its hoofbeat to the one-line chant voiced by the man running the operation: RAAAAGs'n'bones, RAAAAGs'n'bones.

A rag-and-bone man collects unwanted household items and sells them to merchants. In 19th century London about a thousand of these men lived in extreme poverty, surviving on the proceeds of what they collected each day. By the 1980's they were mostly gone.

I'm somewhat of an updated knockoff rag-and-bone person myself, of the sort portrayed aptly by Florian Roderi in A Weekend with Picasso:

We artists are a bit like ragpickers;
we like to have all sorts
of odds and ends around us.
They may seem completely useless
to other people
but
       you never know!

I experience such pleasure today as I decide which of the odds and ends around me to make into a greeting card, pressing into service a 'mostly monochrome' exercise done for a Jane Davies class—an exercise which itself pulled from several odds and ends—along with a promotional postcard salvaged from the mail. Scissors, acrylic matte medium, books and bricks to press pieces together, and finally a crystal clear plastic sleeve.

You never know!

Buzzing Bees, Like a Haze in Spring
4.25 x 5.5" greeting card; acrylic, India ink, and collage
abstract
2018

8 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

I can so clearly hear the “rags ‘n bones” chant in my mind! The “worker bee” in me likes how it all came together for this greeting card.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Joje, I KNEW you'd perk up at the mention of the rags 'n' bones man. LOVE that you, too, can clearly hear his chant!

Also love that you made a bee connection : )

Simone said...

I love it when you put in those little snippets of your personal history in your blog! I feel like a rag-lady myself often too. If I would turn around my chair, I see heaps of scraps and I don't have time to clean them up! But if I read your blog, I know beautiful things can happen from just few rags!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Bricks!!!! Like the road that horse clippity-clopped upon.

What an exquisite card. You make me want to save every scrap I come upon. Maybe I'll allow myself one or two today. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thanks for your lovely comment; I'm so glad to hear that my snippets of personal history are well received. It's so interesting to me to see what bubbles up when I come to my blog to write after creating : )

Yes, beautiful things can happen from rags!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

If you could see what I am using for weight to hold pieces in place while adhesive sets, you would laugh in delight. Perhaps I'll have to do a post on just that, with visuals!

I save many a scrap, I must confess, but I have my dad's knack for doing so while steering clear of pathological hoarding, practicing SELECTIVE hoarding instead! I do derive SUCH enjoyment from poking through my stuff and having creative sparks fly.

carol edan said...

Your memories of the "rags and bones" brought similar ones of an organ grinder with a monkey that sharpened knives. Don't the scraps surprise you when you find just the right one for the perfect card!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I have organ grinder memories also, from even earlier than the rags and bones memory, I think from when I lived in the Netherlands ages 10-12.

YES! Love the magic of creating with all the scraps and odds and ends!

Post a Comment