Sunday, May 17, 2020

Postcard Piecework

I am endlessly fascinated by the way creative energy puzzles things out and pieces things together.

Went to my studio over a week ago with an intention and a time limit.

Intention: make a postcard for my dad.

Time limit: have it ready to take to the post office in less than an hour to allow for its arrival in Maine on time for our mutual birthday four days later.

Here's what I picked up and worked with:

• a greeting card printed by moo.com from a photo of a piece of art I made in the early days of grieving my mom's October 2015 death;
• my trusty decades-old paper trimmer;
• a Marvy LePen marker (has no rivals with its unique micro-fine point and sleek, elegant, lightweight barrel design) recommended, I think, by Sheila Delgado in a blog post some time back;
• my box of print matter, torn from magazines and culled from all manner of postal deliveries;
• blunt scissors from my kids' early days art supplies;
• matte medium;
• a spray can of Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze; and
• my travel-size hair drier.

Cut the greeting card to become a postcard and rotated it from portrait to landscape orientation. Used LePen to 'tie strings' to the 'balloons.' Combed through my print matter for options that fit my color palette and featured words that might suit the occasion and recipient. Tore, glued, glazed, dried, wrote message, added address, affixed postage stamp.

Made it to the p.o. on time!

Energy Puzzles
4 x 6" postcard; collage and ink on printed image on cardstock
abstract
2020 upgrade of a 2015 piece



5 comments:

Sheila said...

WOO WHOO! Wowzers is this fun and cheerful and HAPPY! You make the best cards E-V-E-R! You work well under pressure too. LOL Haha. Happy Birthday early! I hope it is delightful :)
These juicy, sunny colors make me happy. Your Dad will smile to be sure.
(Thanks for the shout out, Dotty.)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The process of making this card was fun and cheerful and HAPPY! Thanks for your accolades, Sheila, and for the LePen recommendation way back when. Card made it to its recipient on time, birthdays were joyfully celebrated.

carol edan said...

What can I say.... you are brilliant! What a beautiful card and gift...
have a HAPPY HAPPY DAY!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

thanks, Carol! this card represents a happy bit of painting and cutting and gluing and creating : )

Sheila said...

Woo Whoo! :)

Post a Comment