Thursday, May 7, 2020

On My Nightstand, on My Easel (2)

On my nightstand

Life-learning embedded in camp songs,* first sung decades ago in the 1960s, meets twenty-first-century neuroscience in Alex Korb's The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time:

Your smile is a powerful tool. Most people think that we smile because we feel happy, but it can go the other way as well: we feel happy because we smile. Smiling increases positive feelings. It's simple and improves your mood. [And,] when you smile, you're more likely to perceive positive emotions in other people, which can have a big influence on your mood.

A confident posture modulates your brain's response to your thoughts, so if you want to be more confident, think positive thoughts while sticking your chest out and keeping your chin up.



*camp song:

When anything goes wrong, keep smiling,
When anything goes wrong, just grin!
Throw back your shoulders, stick out your chin,
As long as you are smiling you are bound to win!
When anything goes wrong, keep smiling,
Never let your troubles get you down down down,
Everything will be all right
And the whole world will look bright
If you smile, smile, smile!


On my easel

work in progress, day 2, 4/19/20
24 x 48" canvas


8 comments:

Simone said...

Dear Dotty, you're so right! I'll plan to smile a lot this beautiful weekend!
I love your painting. It's in progress, but it could be finished, too!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Smiling at your comments! Smiling at your smiles! Better than covid contagion any day!!

I'm smiling, too, because I keep having the same thought: my painting is in progress but it could be finished, too! That was my very thought on its very first day before the wrapping was even fully removed : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

omg this is brilliant! Putting the Alex Korb book in my amazon cart today. Sending you smiles and grins!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I've read The Upward Spiral twice now, once about eight months ago and then again in April. The combination of neuroscience, clear language, and accessible strategies is powerful.

Smiling and grinning back atcha!

carol edan said...

When you smile the whole world smiles at YOU! Reuven, my instructor, says that good art can be "finished" in every stage. Your starts prove that!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm getting so many chances to smile today!

Fun to learn that Reuven agrees that good art can be finished in every stage, and I thank you for your affirmation of that in my starts : )

Sheila said...

Reading your blog always makes my heart smile. :)
YAY! For done, not done. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Good morning, Sheila—thanks for starting my (cold, rainy) day with a smile : )

Done, not gone—perfect prĂ©cis!

Post a Comment