Monday, May 25, 2020

On My Nightstand, On my Easel (11)

On my nightstand

I always think I should know more.
But really, I need to remind myself
that this not-knowing 
is at the heart
of the creative endeavor …  [is]
what often creates the energy,
portent, and momentum
in the piece of work itself.

It requires faith in the process.

The imagination has its own coherence.
There's always time for thinking
and shaping and restructuring later,
after we've allowed something
previously hidden
to emerge on the page.

Dani Shapiro, Still Writing


On my easel

detail, with birthday card envelope collage
work in progress, 28 days in, 5/16/20
24 x 48" on canvas

detail, with birthday card envelope collage
work in progress, 28 days in, 5/16/20
24 x 48" on canvas
detail, with birthday card envelope collage
work in progress, 28 days in, 5/16/20
24 x 48" on canvas


8 comments:

carol edan said...

Just follow the path and you will know when you get there!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The faith that is needed. The faith, the faith. Not for the faint of heart!

Simone said...

I love to see all the tiny details and pieces of collage!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone! I had fun incorporating collage from various sources, especially from the envelopes that held birthday cards this year : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

not knowing.....sigh. Yep. But it is the very thing to embrace. Love your details, your collage, the marrying of prose and art. Beautiful.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

yyyyyup: not knowing … sigh. Can't live WITH it, can't live without it. Thanks for feedback—happy to hear you are grooving on the marrying of prose and art. That is what I can bring to the table right now.

Sheila said...

Colorful treasure map, x marks the spot for ice cold popsicles! I'll race ya! Haha! Summer delights here! OH, JOY!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Did you spy your own handwriting collaged to one of the sections of my canvas detailed here???

Haven't had an ice cold popsicle in years …

Post a Comment