Sunday, April 30, 2023

Permission Slips

I think it's in Brené Brown's Dare to Lead that she introduces the concept and practice of writing herself permission slips—literal permissions written on paper. She tucks them into the pockets of her clothing. 

I remember her talking about permission slips she wrote before appearing with Oprah Winfrey on television. 

You have permission to feel excited. You have permission to giggle. You have permission to ask for a photo of yourself with Oprah.

The overarching permission is to not have to act 'cool,' but you'll notice how specific Brené gets.

About a week ago, a light popped on: I need to write me some permission slips!

Since then, when I catch myself up against internal negative energy, I pause to take stock, to identify my resistance through the act of writing myself a permission slip. I do not skip the writing part. I am as specific as I can be. And I am learning. A lot.

You have permission to take a day off from 'closing the circle' on your exercise app tomorrow if it's raining.

You have permission to ask Helene for help with the table in the Cash Flow Worksheet document she sent whose formatting keeps bedeviling you.

Yikes—the stories I tell myself. I can't take a day off? I have to figure everything out myself?

Ouch.

I feel relief each time I write a permission. I feel a welcome uptick in vulnerability and wholeheartedness. I am lighter of heart in general. 

I am grateful.

---

About the art: In a sketchbook where I dabble periodically I rediscover a start from sometime back. Don't like it. Don't know where to take it. Decide to offload and transform some uncomfortable internal dialogue using writing as mark-making. Round all the intersections of lines and relax into the therapy of neurographic artplay. Ugly duckling to swan in short order!



No Repercussions If You Fail to Deliver
6.5 x 10"; acrylic, watercolor pencils, and marker
on sketchbook paper
neurographica
2023



4 comments:

MaryAnn Shupe said...

Oh my....there is so much here to soak in! Being stuck in the stories we tell ourselves? Yup! The notion of literal permission slips? Wow...and yes! Rediscovering and unfinished art piece? Often! Transforming it into some beautiful with therapeutic art play? Brilliant....and beautiful, by the way. (YOU turned me onto neurographic art back when....and it's something I want to revisit.)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

MaryAnn, so much light and lift in each of your reflections and observations here. I am grateful!

carol edan said...

I love the interaction of neurographic and asemic writing. Has a very solemn feel. Almost can hear choral music!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, wonderful feedback! The interaction of neurographic and asemic calls to me also! I wonder if the solemn feel and hint of choral music might be induced by this piece's having somewhat of a stained-glass-window-in-a-stone-cathedral effect?

Post a Comment