Tuesday, May 2, 2023

One Thought, Another Thought

One thought: Why am I even working on this painting? 

There was some smidgen of intent when I started, a smidgen since forgotten, with disappointing results. Last week, hankering for some neurographic stress relief, I figured maybe this ignominious start could serve as backdrop.

Well, maybe. But it was no slam dunk, I'll tell you that much. The neurographia relaxed me, but the painting, as a painting, then elicited a whole bunch of fussing and striving that only enhanced the visual language up to a point. A point falling short of satisfaction.

Hence the thought: Why am I even working on this painting?

Then, yesterday morning unfolded with a laugh-out-loud text exchange with Meg, some eye-catching energizing splashes of color on Instagram, and a heart-opening conversation with artist MaryAnn.

Another thought: You have permission to wreck this painting!

Alrighty then.

Here's the up-to-a-point work in progress:



work in progress
~7 x 7"; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel on sketchbook page


4 comments:

MaryAnn Shupe said...

Ahhhh those "what was I thinking moments!" But I actually like the piece! Permission to wreck something is brilliant. I did that a few months ago.....was quite tickled with something.....thought I could make it better and completely wrecked it. And it actually felt good to just throw it away! I was pleased to be part of your morning list....a heart-opening conversation indeed!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I almost never throw away anything I've painted … but a new permission slip might be in order! I've now already advanced this piece to where its visual language is more resonant (hmm, resonant has to do with auditory, not visual, in its purest form, I'm thinking), but oh well!) to me. I'll probably post again, and also continue seeing what I might further coax from the piece.

carol edan said...

Love the play of neutral areas with various writing and the dark marker of neurographic art.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for drawing attention to the neutral and contrast elements here, Carol.

Post a Comment