Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Following Directions

Jane Davies has been playing with scribbles for awhile, and her blog post in January caught my eye with its multi-layered repetitive-back-and-forth scribbles. I wanted to try my hand at layers and back-and-forth.

I looked through the squares I'd cut from a 6 x 9" start I made on my first Bo's Arts afternoon, with an eye towards a background that might lend itself to just such scribbling.

I selected this square.




Then I layered and back-and-forthed with wild abandon.

Wait.

What?

Here's what came of that inspiration and my layers of intention. Hahaha!!!

I do love when I don't follow directions—who is it that issues these directions? Who is it that disregards them!




Handsome Herringbone
3 x 3"; acrylic, ink, and collage on watercolor paper
abstract floral
2023



4 comments:

MaryAnn Shupe said...

Not following directions is totally the way to go! I do love this!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I have to laugh that it still, after nine years of painting, surprises me when my hand and heart kick my mind to the curb and get on with what needs getting on!

carol edan said...

Intentions are very helpful and important. Actually, the most important lesson I learned at my workshop in Ireland. That said, one can change and alter during the process, so NOT actually breaking any rules! Way to GO !

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I appreciate your reflections here, Carol. Can't wait to hear more about your Ireland workshop! Off the cuff thoughts: I think I always start with intention, I think I have trouble starting withOUT intention, I think I often tangle myself up when I can't let go of an original intention to trust that diverting from the intention will take me where I need to go.

Post a Comment