Thursday, April 13, 2023

Grabbing at a Potted Plant

A baby will grab at a potted plant

because it looks interesting and new.

If it topples over and spills out

they start playing with the soil,

eating it, 

feeling it,

pulling the remaining plant apart

and sitting proudly 

in the centre of their efforts.

What has been ‘created’

might seem to be a complete mess,

but it’s also an innocent 

and informative

investigation.


—Philippa Stanton, in Conscious Creativity



I pulled another plant off the shelf today.




Tailored Touch
3 x 3"; acrylic and collage on watercolor paper
abstract design
2023


8 comments:

MaryAnn Shupe said...

I recognize that author!!! Sometime I'll share my class experience with Philippa. She really did teach me how to really "see" in a more conscious way.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

MaryAnn, it's because of you and what you wrote in one of yours posts that I'm reading Philippa's book. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love these words...and the thought of you pulling plants of shelves! Captivated by the graphic punchiness of this piece!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Anonymous! Sigh, I still haven't resolved the tech issues at my blog; progress = you can comment, snafu = the format doesn't let me know who you are.

The idea of my being the baby pulling plants from the shelf, reveling in the innocent and informative investigation of the happy mess I've created, keeps me open to playing as I create.

I appreciate your nod to the 'graphic punchiness' of this piece.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dotty, this is such a beautiful collage! I didn't realize you were painting again, since I don't receive any notifications. So sorry to hear that. Hope this notification-thing clears up soon. Love! Simone

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone! Thanks for your appreciation of my collage, appreciation that holds extra weight since you are the creator of so much beautiful collage yourself!

carol edan said...

We both in the same boat! Love that "V" touch of red! Dynamic!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

It's a great adventure being in that same unpredictable boat! Thanks for the feedback of the dynamic touch of red/fuschia—that touch was part of my pulling a potted plant off a shelf and investigating the 'mess' with innocence and openness to information.

Post a Comment