Monday, November 21, 2022

Capturing Work in Progress

Three weeks ago on Hallowe'en, I started marking up a sheet of white canvas paper with black line work. Got attached, couldn't move forward in the moment, set the page aside.


A week or so later I made some additions. Pressed paused again.

    

Then, over the weekend, I felt a surge of creative energy, taped the page into rough quadrants, and got rolling again.


work in progress

Some artists post reels in which they use time-lapse high-speed photography, giving you the chance to witness their painting process in seconds. I, on the other hand, have never made a reel in my life. Not only that, but also my blog posts turn out to offer you s l o w - m o t i o n still photography, sometimes at the rate of one frame per several weeks, demonstrating my process in real time, not reel time! Thanks for coming along for the ride stroll.

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Much better this way... Fast reels stress me. I feel like I am missing things, and to me, the speed does not allow you to enjoy the process. :) Happy creating, Dotty! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Much better this way for me, too, especially since I tend towards too fast and too busy in much of my everyday living. Grateful for your affirming words, Sheila.

Simone said...

I love the SLOW life!

I always love to cut things up, and especially dividing an (old) painting in four I find a lovely way to loosen up and 'find compositions'.

Thanks for taking me on a stroll!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, this slow art stroll is early light training for your summer GR-plan! Thanks for 'getting' my approach in my studio : )

carol edan said...

Love dividing pieces, although haven't had much success with tapes. Play along, move along!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The success of the tape isn't such a big issue here, since I didn't apply it until after I'd already started the painting. When I peel it off again later, I won't have the clean white borders that would have resulted if the tape had been the first thing to go on the page. I'll pull the tape for the fun of seeing what the page looks like as a new whole, but I'll be using my paper trimmer to cut four separate pieces.

Post a Comment