Monday, November 28, 2022

The Long Way Home

"Fear lives in the head.

And courage lives in the heart.

The job is to get

from one to the other."

"And between the two

is the lump in the throat,"

said Gamache.

    —Louise Penny, The Long Way Home


Naples yellow, Paynes gray, white gesso, a week-long on-again-off-again conversation, lots of time in the lump-in-the-throat space, and now a pause again. 

Will I finish these compositions while they're still on a single sheet of paper separated only by painter's tape, or will I pull off the tape, cut the page into its four components, and complete each individually? I'm going to live with that question a little longer.



work in progress


4 comments:

Sheila said...

OK, I traveled these a long time. Love them already :) Have fun, Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I keep traveling them also, and now I've hit a dead end and need to back up to figure out where to go next!

Simone said...

I just enlarged this picture. It's amazing, all those little details! My suggestion: cut it up, and see what happens! You have a fantastic start for a series of 4.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thank you for weighing in! The combination of your appreciation of the details and your direct suggestion provides a welcome and much-needed spark of energy. I am intrigued by how often I get 'stuck' but I understand that to be at the heart of much of my creative adventure.

Post a Comment