Monday, November 14, 2022

Change of Direction

Was poking around looking at art online a few nights ago, bumped into a piece at DailyPaintWorks by an artist named Mary Ellis, and just had to change direction from my current exploration of b&w linework to try my hand at an appropriation. I'd earlier bumped into a stack of 6x6" canvas board paintings on which I'd painted over the original works with chaos layers, and I'd been hankering to do some negative space painting using those chaos layers, and suddenly here was inspiration! Thank you for waking me up to explore something new, Mary!

Ready, set, go!



Same Place, Different Day
6/12/2016



chaos layers painted on top of
Same Place, Different Day
October 2020 (I think)



This Holy Instant
6 x 6"; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel on canvas board
figurative
2022
appropriation, after Mary Ellis, DailyPaintWorks.com,
thank you!








6 comments:

Simone said...

I really liked your 'same place, different day', and it's so much fun to see how the layers on top of it create something completely new out of it. And then the negative space. Such interesting changes!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I am grateful whenever I can live the moment at hand. I can remember the joy, absorption, and energy I experienced as I painted each one of these iterations. So concrete, in the moment of painted expression, and for as long as that expression remains on the canvas in plain sight. But, at the same time, so ephemeral. Thank you for coming along for the journey of changes : )

carol edan said...

Beautiful play between the positive and negative spaces and the subtle differences between the figures and their jugs!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Love your observant eye, Carol! Happy for your noticing the play between pos and neg spaces, and especially for your nod to the subtle difrerences between the figures and their jugs. I don't do figurative painting very often but had fun w/ this, as well as a bunch of learning, as always.

Sheila said...

Loved the original, and the play that came after. And I love the play between "clean" and "busy" in the newest version. The mix of warm and cool. The sleek forms. So in awe of your playfulness. :) Yay for learning, yes. ;o)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Your observations delight me, Sheila—I had to push myself to create the play between clean and busy. Originally, there was really almost nothing but the black outlining to separate figure ground, and it looked pretty cool, but I just had to get in and play with negative space. Then I had to sit for awhile to determine what hue and value I wanted for the negative space. ALWAYS learning going on!!! And yay for that!

Post a Comment