Monday, November 7, 2022

Addition + Subtraction = Decision Overload!

 I think this is where the maximum addition of line stopped before I began subtraction with Exercise #2:




I began veiling, covering, shaping, trying this, trying that. The decision-making was unrelenting. I'm exhausted!

Exhausted, but committed to poking around this assignment. I feel awkward and clumsy. I feel as though I have no rudder. I'm exhausted!

Exhausted, but intrigued by how challenged I feel and by the discoveries and learning that go hand in hand with not knowing what the heck I'm doing.

After many subtractions and probably as many new additions, with the pluses and minuses tripping all over each other, #2 has landed here for now. 

Have I told you I'm exhausted?

All comments/observations welcome!



#2, after math lab!




6 comments:

Simone said...

The observation that I have is about the process: I believe it's marvelous that you immerse yourself in such a journey, just trying things out, letting your eyes and your hands and your heart see what happens and feeling what clicks and what not. Maybe, at a certain moment you feel the painting is coming to 'rest'. Maybe not, and then you throw it in the bin and start another one.

You inspire me!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, THANK YOU! I have been so surprised at how 'hard' this exercise is—your words infuse my actions with a lightness I don't consistently feel as I'm in process, and I am so grateful for your uplifting perspective. I plan to carry your words and that lightness and uplift into my studio today!

Sheila said...

Oh the places you'll go! So entertaining, intriguing and inspiring! :) Happy creating, exploring!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, your words have me seeing the shapes in this piece from a cartoon-y whimsical perspective. Thank you for keeping the exploration alive!

carol edan said...

Second entry! Your hard work really played out . Those strong donut shapes certainly gave you an immense challenge.
Now you can take a rest till the next challenge.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The next challenge is always right at hand. This piece has come to a rest, for now or perhaps forever, and I am now playing/wrestling with another in this batch : ) Thanks for recognizing the challenge and for honoring how the 'hard work' played out, Carol.

Post a Comment