Friday, November 11, 2022

Subtraction/Addition Exercise #3

From No Happy Endings by Nora McInerny: 

The first rule of improv is YES. 

Well, YES, AND …  

the AND is important. 

YES is acceptance and acknowledgment 

of the reality you've been handed. 

AND is where the good part happens. 

The good part is a conjunction? 

You bet it is. 

Because AND is about possibility and opportunity. 

AND includes WHAT IS 

and makes room for WHAT COULD BE. 

AND doesn't require you to love the situation, 

or to like the situation; 

it just requires you to live.


Nora McInerny's book is entitled No Happy Endings, but, just as I finished quoting her above, I bumped into Orson Wells who says:


If you want a happy ending, 

that depends, 

of course, 

on where you stop your story.


So, I said YES to b&w exercise #3, accepting and acknowledging the line work that had brought it to this point:


.

Then I said AND … after which I brought it here:



4 comments:

carol edan said...

Lots of editing and flipped as well. love the new orientation and rest areas as well!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Creating the quiet areas, soft brush back and forth back and forth, was restful and then informed other decisions. Thanks for your feedback, Carol!

Simone said...

It's lovely to see how the quiet in the painting makes the 'busy' so much more interesting and 'jumping out'!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I had to 'push myself' to cover so much but, again, once I moved out of my head into flow the quiet and the jumping out parts found their own balance, and I felt inner balance.

Post a Comment