Monday, March 13, 2023

Upstanding Art

I set out last week to poke around my studio in search of a found composition that could become a birthday card. I sorted through existing paintings on paper but what eventually caught my eye were scraps from practice brushstrokes done in service of my recent series of eight abstract-scribble-inquiry paintings. 

One thing led to another, and my paper card idea evolved into a multi-layered composition mounted on wood—an upstanding piece of art, if I do say so myself. 

And, not only is it upstanding, but it can stand up by itself!



Simply Pay Attention to What Comes Along
3.75 x 4.75"; acrylic on paper, mounted on wood
abstract
2023



upstanding art standing up on display






4 comments:

carol edan said...

What a great piece of art! Wonderful idea! With art nothing goes to waste, or practically nothing!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you! I LOVE that I was able to capitalize on seeing my practice strokes from an earlier project with fresh eyes, harnessing the freedom of expression inherent in them by recasting them with the cohesion offered by refinement and structure. It's a gift to have you notice and appreciate this piece along with me!

Sheila said...

Love this Dotty! Awesome! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

This one is a personal favorite of late. Everything about it just came together magically, and it lifts me every time I see it.

Post a Comment