Thursday, March 30, 2023

On My Nightstand, On My Easel 3/31/23

On my nightstand:

Somewhere, between the breeze

and the faraway sound of a train,

comes a line of birdsong, lightly

threading the heavy cloth of dream.


Joyce Sutphen, excerpted from "Soundings"



On my easel:


As I paint, the simple pleasures of homefront soundings, indoors and out, thread my work—Dave's footsteps going up and down the stairs to the basement to get carpentry tools, the banging away of a patch of sheetrock in the family room ceiling and, between those footsteps and that banging, the industry on a sparrow, pecking against the inside wall of a birdhouse as some part of the process of constructing a nest for imminent occupancy.




A Line of Birdsong
1.5 x 6" bookmark; acrylic, ink, and Stabilo pencil
on watercolor paper
abstract
2023


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann Marquis. I don't think I ever got this post.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Ann, thanks for helping me gather data. There's a good chance you may not have received notification of my past 17 posts!

Anonymous said...

Joany again, seeing if I can comment being anonymous

Sheila said...

Love this !

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Your comment came through, Joje. As anonymous. Better than not at all but a workaround for the time being.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dotty, I'm so happy you're trying to solve your blogging problem. (I'm Simone, by the way!). Today, I'm reading a book with YOUR bookmark in it. Such a lovely reminder that you're in my life!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for taking a moment to comment, Simone. I'm grateful that comments are coming through but, really, this 'anonymous' workaround leaves much to be desired. FUN to hear that you have one of my bookmarks holding your place in the book you're currently reading ❤️.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila!

Post a Comment