Thursday, March 9, 2023

Leaning Into Limits

My Dutch artist friend Simone Nijboer recently wrote an art newsletter about her love of color and the palette that has become her personal color signature. 

The sparks of her thoughts landed in my thoughts and lit me up with inspiration. My own recent experience of working with a limited palette over a series of eight paintings shook hands with Simone's color signature, and off I went to my studio! 

I have fiddled with grand contentment and engagement over the past few days in a creative inquiry, using a close approximation of Simone's signature palette as my base colors. I explored and experimented, fascinated by the color mixing I could do with Amsterdam turquoise green, Amsterdam quinacridone rose, Golden quinacridone nickel azo gold, and Amsterdam oxide black and Liquitex white gesso as sidekicks.

Way fun.

Painting, created by Dotty, using Simone's signature colors.


There Is No Cure for Curiosity
5.5 x 5.5"; acrylic, ink, and collage on card stock
abstract
2023


---

Painting, created by Simone, using Simone's signature colors!





8 comments:

Simone said...

Dear Dotty, how nice to see my name pop up in your blog post! Isn't it fun how much is possible with only few colors. And how different the results become in the hands of different painters? Have fun with your experiments with limits!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone! Yes, such fun seeing how much is possible with only a few colors, AND how different the results become in the hands of different painters! I AM having fun. So lovely to have you show up here with a comment. As you know, I have been bedeviled with cyber nonsense with my blog lately : (

MaryAnn Shupe said...

Absolutely loving these!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

MaryAnn, thank you! Limited-palette color-mixing is fascinating me recently.

carol edan said...

I find that limitations really improve the art making progress. Love those snippets and linework!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I'm discovering bit by bit the many gifts of limitations in my art, and I like the engagement and the particular challenges of those limitations. As always, I appreciate your feedback, in this case your attention to the added snippets and the added linework; I love that fine-tuning and finishing part of the creative process.

Sheila said...

LOVE! It's been awhile Since I have seen Simone's work. Which I love. Hmm... wonder why I am not receiving her newsletter. More computer gremlins. LOVE her colors, and LOVE your take. so much fun!! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone's colors have always called to me, and I love them straight out of the tube. Imagine my surprise when I got into some serious color mixing … to the point those colors don't look anything like Simone's!

Post a Comment