Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Poetry Hidden in Prose

You know the quotations I sometimes include in my posts? Here's the story:

Several decades ago I began the practice of copying lines from whatever I was reading, mostly from fiction—lines that resonated with an emotion, spoke to lived experience, captured my ear with their lyricism, made me laugh, brought tears to my eyes. 

For many years, those jottings landed on anything at hand—the back of an envelope, a receipt, a fragment torn from a paper bag.

By and by, I started a business called art❤️warmers, featuring small pieces of art and whimsy I created from found materials into which I'd incorporate selected lines.

Eventually, because I'd amassed so many unwieldy snippets, and because I was making such frequent use of the collection, I typed the quotations into an indexed database I use to this day.

Still later, I came to have a blog in which I sometimes gave space to one of those quotations.

Because those words felt like poetry hidden in prose, I began formatting the quotations as poems rather than as continuous text.

For example, instead of this:

This is what an artist is, she thought. This is the temperament you need to spend a whole day tinkering with a sentence, making sure both the meaning and the music are right; to spend three or seven or ten years working on a book,

this:

This is what an artist is, 

she thought. 

This is the temperament you need 

to spend a whole day 

tinkering 

with a sentence, 

making sure 

both the meaning 

and the music 

are right; 

to spend three 

or seven 

or ten years 

working on a book. 

    —Brian Morton, Starting Out in the Evening



Tinkering With a Sentence for Ten Years
4 x 8.5"; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel on drawing paper
abstract
2022


5 comments:

Sheila said...

You continue to amaze and inspire Dotty. :) Love this little world you created. I see an aerial landscape. Love your idea of a database. WOW. I have a digital folder full of snippets. Some handwritten. Unorganized and messy. LOL. xoxox Wishing you Joyful creating!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thanks for your feedback. I see an aerial landscape also, but am amused to be viewing it through a jeweled spider's web somehow! Creating my database was one of those tasks that's tedious and time-consuming in the doing but gives back many times over after the fact : )

Sheila said...

Sparkling, YES! :) I am working on a tedious task today. More file organizing. Happy creating Dotty :)

carol edan said...

Your turning prose to poetry never ceases to amaze me. Agree with Sheila, an aerial landscape. Blue sky, green clouds or vice versa! Love those dots!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

oo, glad you noticed and enjoyed those dots! They were fun to add and changed the energy of the piece in a satisfying way. For me the aerial landscape is one in which I am airborne, looking down on a river meandering through fields freshly greened up and just beginning to sport wildflowers!

Post a Comment