Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Alchemy

Artist Jacqui Beck's thoughts about a series she's painting called Inside Outside accompany me as I begin working on a new painting. She articulates the following in a short video:

As an artist I bring my inside outside,

Who I am gets expressed into the work.

How I think about the world,

How I encounter the world,

How I experience the world

Coming inside me,

Getting churned around,

And then coming out in my work.


At the tail end of a(nother!) day filled with more cyber challenges than I can handle with any grace, let alone savvy, I am called strongly to play with line and color. I am pulled to paint on a page torn from a copy of Little Women given to my daughter by my mother, a book that ends up becoming, decades down the road, a comforting art journal for me during a dark time. One of the pages has paint on it from two years ago, an expression of my inside manifesting itself outside in that place at that time. And, of course, whatever is inside has been forged by many outside encounters and experiences. 

I grab a paint pen now and begin drawing lines around patches of paint to create shapes. 

The outside that influences and impacts the inside churns around unceasingly and, as an artist, that who-I-am gets expressed into my work every single time I paint.

The alchemy amazes and sustains me.



work in progress



8 comments:

carol edan said...

It seems that I am following hidden neurographic lines!l Love how the text shows through. An early morning shower of coo!,clear spring water.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, love your following of hidden neurographic lines, appreciation of text peeking through, and especially for opening my eyes to an early morning shower of cool, clear spring water!

Simone said...

It just looks marvellous!!!

Simone said...

I really like the combination of organic shapes and the letters/text that shine through.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

thanks! I look forward to developing it further

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, I appeciate this feedback on the visual language of the art. Thank you!

Sheila said...

Love the organic shapes, the cool colors, and the lure of words peeking through. Bravo Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

More reflection on the visual language! Thank you, Sheila!

Post a Comment