Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Continuing Education

Years ago I attended a captivating presentation given by board-certified child-and-adult psychiatrist, thought leader, best-selling author, and world-renowned keynote speaker Ned Hallowell. I was able to attend the conference through my employer, Landmark School, as part of its program to offer high-quality opportunities for teachers to meet requirements for Continuing Education Units. My deeper interest was personal, however, and lay in my concern for my high-school-aged son who, at the time, was in the messy middle of a number of challenges.

I approached Hallowell at one of the breaks in the presentation to ask a question. I explained that I didn't know if my son was depressed because of struggles in school or if he was struggling in school because he was depressed. How could I sort out what was causing what? Where should I start in my quest to gain traction in helping him resolve the challenges at hand?


Start anywhere, Hallowell asserted. 
Nothing to sort out. Just start. 

Oh.


Huh.


I'd thought I had to figure out what was chicken, what was egg. That I had to ascertain what came first before I could move forward. In the new light of Hallowell's perspective, it occurred to me that maybe my focus on the what-came-first quandary was just an unconscious way to buffer myself from the pain I was feeling in my circumstances, a fabricated distraction provided by my mind that somehow justified my paralysis and overwhelm.

Indeed, nothing to sort out. Start anywhere. Just start.

As I have today.



very satisfying start;
pencil and posca pen on tissue paper

6 comments:

carol edan said...

Right on.... just start....I just love scribbles.... That tissue paper will probably end up as collage material... or not!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Scribbles—so unfettered and freeing and therapeutic. I love 'em, too, Carol. Tissue paper indeed most likely heading to a life as collage material : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oooooh brilliant advice! Just START! And I will. Right now. Thank you!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

so many things to start! all the time! wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sheila said...

Lovely post Dotty. Always a good read. Thoughtful or funny, your lessons stick in my mind.
Great reminder. Silly string! Yup. Well, it made me smile :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Silly string! You've made me smile in return, Sheila!

Post a Comment