Sunday, February 2, 2020

"Curiouser and Curiouser!"

Lyme Camp now includes intensive education about neural retraining exercises that calm an overactive limbic system stuck in the on position. A component of the program includes becoming the Curious Observer of what is. 

To notice without being reactive.

To notice without buying into all the false messages the limbic loop presents as truth and repeats at full volume ad nauseam.

To stay curious, open.

I am no stranger to being a curious observer but my engagement with neural retraining here is a gift that increases my mindfulness and moves me to become a more steadfast and curious observer than I might otherwise be.

Seattle artist Jacqui Beck has a video that delights me every time I watch it, addressing as it does the curious observer attitude she brings to her work. 

Oh man, this thing
     Jacqui says, observing with curiosity and playfulness as she paints. 
This black,
I painted so much black over this.
Yes. Yes, I did.
Now what?

---

Oh man, this thing,
     I say as curious observer today while I paint.
This white,
I painted so much white over this.
Yes. Yes, I did.
Now what?

another layer; WIP


6 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

OMG! I have used neural retraining of my own limbic system for rampant multiple chemical sensitivity! It works! So excited at the thought of this being used at lyme camp. Brilliant!

Curious observer....my goal for this day. Now what?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

OMG is an understatement, Jen! So astonished that you've done neural retraining of your own limbic system, and so grateful to hear you say it works!!! woot! woot!

Enjoy your day, curious observer : )

Sheila said...

OK, I had to look that up. And it sounds very interesting indeed. And I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video. Made me want to paint :)
Happy retraining, creating, being! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Excellent précis, Sheila: retraining, creating, being! Thanks for jumping in to say hello and share happy wishes.

carol edan said...

Also had to look up "neural retraining" and "limbic system"! Always learning. Covering,revealing.... and then what!
Love the playing process. Somehow helps balance things out! Thanks for the link love her work!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yup, always learning, no matter what way we turn! As you so well sum things up here, Carol: covering, revealing, and then what!

Post a Comment