Monday, February 10, 2020

Elemental Wonder

I have early childhood memories of being at the seashore, of taking evening walks with Grandpa Chase beside a sea wall along Long Island Sound in Connecticut, hearing the splash and whisper of waves, breathing in smells of tidal gurry, noticing shingled cottages with reflecting balls in their flower gardens across the street from the water, feeling rough stone against the backs of my legs while sitting on the sea wall savoring the sweet conversational attention of my grandpa.

The mystery and elemental wonder of the sea found its way into my heart back then when I was still losing baby teeth. And there it has stayed.

I have made my home just minutes from the Atlantic coast for decades now.

For the past two months, however, I've lived in Shenandoah Valley surrounded by vast stretches of open land bordered in every direction by mountains.

And yet, it is the saltwater of my soul that has been speaking through my hand and brushes in recent days as I've painted.

 A Poem Come from Silence
7 x 9"; acrylic, latex, collage, color sticks, and oil pastel on a book page
abstract seascape
2020

7 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

ooooooh your words took me to this place in your memory...and then, the painting! OHHHHHHHH! A lovely moment, a perfect place, salt air and sand. Yes.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, you got it: salt air and sand! splash and whisper! Glad you enjoyed taking a side trip to a place in my memory : )

carol edan said...

Now my tablet is giving me problems! Can't comment on phone..it doesn't bring up my profile! I have memories of sitting on a seawall but only from a photo...where or when is lost. Love your Alice in Wonderland gulls!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Alice in Wonderland gulls! Fun unexpected description, Carol!

Sheila said...

What Jen said. I saw you sitting there, smiling. Saw the lovely little homes, felt the stone. Lovely gift you shared :) On top of that, a delightful masterpiece! A Poem Came From Silence... your titles could fill a gallery of their own :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thank you for being a bit of ocean reflecting wonder back at me here : )

Daniel Bryan said...

Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!
seawall washout repair

Post a Comment