Sunday, January 12, 2020

Whole Child, Whole Parent at Lyme Camp Together

Polly Berrien Berends, with whom I first became acquainted decades ago through her book Whole Child, Whole Parent, has provided counsel to me through her writing countless times.

Everything
that happens to you
is your teacher,
     she whispers in my ear here at Lyme Camp.
The secret
is to learn
to sit at the feet
of your own life
and be taught by it.

Lotta learning going on here, Polly. Lotta learning.

Everything That Happens
gelatos coloring sticks, acrylic, and collage on a book page
abstract
2020

8 comments:

Simone said...

Dear Dotty,
Probably there is no better student of Life than you. Polly can be very proud!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone! Definitely a steep learning curve these days!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

ooooooh what a brilliant quote! (nods her head in fierce agreement) And this delightfully whimsical piece of art - omg YES!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Polly was the real deal (deceased now for two years, to my great sadness). Glad her insight resonates with you. Was trying out Faber-Castell Gelatos for the first time here. Thanks for seeing the whimsy in this little foray.

Sheila said...

Oh what fun to learn!! Oh what JOY this piece brings me. Makes me think of outstretched arms.
Whispers in my ear.... wonderful :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, love that you see outstretched arms in this piece! Thank you for bounding JOY back to me : )

carol edan said...

Somehow I thought of ice cream. Are those ice cream sticks? Then I realized a new art supply! Love how they blend. Find your composition symbolic of energy! Brachot!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, one of the ongoing gifts of blogging is the feedback I get—opens my eyes time and again to see what I had not seen; opens my mind time and again to understand how subjective my experience is! Thank you for seeing ice cream sticks (I did not)! thank you for appreciating the blending (I had not)! thank you for seeing energy in the composition (I felt jammed up)! thank you for sitting me back down at the feet of my own life : )

Post a Comment