Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Camp Program

When I attended Camp Takodah as a camper, and later as a cabin leader, the programing structure was tight, the rules strict. Infractions tended to be slight, in amusingly inverse proportion to the severity of feared punishment. Sneaking a box of Dunkin Donuts onto camp property after a leaders' night off, for example, was high crime, and we went to great lengths not to get caught.

Lyme Camp is characterized by neither tight structure nor strict rules. And yet I find myself doing some 'sneaking' even here, keeping an eye trained—in this active, busy, be-ready-at-all-times-to-respond-in-the-moment kind of operation that calls for significant presence of mind and availability—for little snippets of time in which I can pick up my paints and a brush without getting 'caught.'

another layer of pasta-pot steam on the window; WIP

8 comments:

carol edan said...

Doesn't just turning your art 90° open up new possibilities! Love the new highlights. Sometimes your restrictions can be your blessings! Cook on!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, yes! I've long been fascinated by the gifts of limits.

Thanks for appreciating the new highlights. And thanks for keeping my attention on rotating a piece frequently while working on it.

Simone said...

I'm so grateful you find (AND take) those precious moments.
I like it that I see 'little women' on top of the page! You are surrounded by women right now. Little and big.
Wish you love and strength.

Simone

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thanks for your affirmative nod to my finding and taking the precious moments to paint. I have to set STRONG yet flexible intentions, but doing so always buoys me. Love that you looked 'through' the paint to little women : )

Thank you for your wishes.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I am so inspired by you. Your words, your observations, your dedication to creating in stolen moments. And your ability to flex with whatever the universe is lobbing at you (here I imagine pasta falling from the sky) :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, thanks for the levity of an LOL in response to pasta falling from the sky. Precisely!

Thank you for your welcome hug of nourishing king words : )

Sheila said...

There is a measure of JOY to be found in sneaking. Keeps the child within us alive. ;)
Smiling at the steam :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, I do have a little bit of the devil in me so, indeed, a measure of JY to be found in sneaking and breaking a few rules! Glad you're still with me with the steam theme : )

Post a Comment