Sunday, January 5, 2020

Keep Me Ready

At Camp Takodah, campers offer up a prayer at breakfast every morning, each one opening his or her heart to keep me ready to help others at some cost to myself and send me chances to do a little good each day.

I wake at Lyme Camp with that prayer in my heart, not knowing how I will be of service but trusting that I will, living in mystery rather than mastery. I set practical intentions to have at the ready should the clouds of overarching unpredictability part to let space open up for them, and then I surrender to the moment-to-moment flow, wholeheartedly doing what life asks of me. 

Gratitude/simple pleasures:
• deep blue fathomless skies, bright sunshine, and just barely enough warmth for just barely enough time in just barely a big enough patch of light to meditate in the shelter offered by the back deck this afternoon;
• readiness to grab the chance to put paint and pencil on paper again today; and
• Meg's eyes, clear and luminous as she sat in a patch of early morning indoor sunshine chatting with me.

Send Me Chances
playing with acrylic and pencils on a book page
abstract
2020

8 comments:

Simone said...

I'm glad you can paint in camp Lyme, and be in the eternal Here and Now, ready to be of service.!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I share that gladness! am glad for glad!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

living in mystery rather than mastery....oh yes! Just what I needed today. How did you know? Happy you are creating, and grateful for those simple pleasures. xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sometimes living in mystery rather than mastery is a conscious, deliberate, and beneficial choice; sometimes there's no mastery to be had in any case so mystery it is! Regardless, glad the idea was just what you needed to hear today, Jen! And thanks for cheering me on in my creating and gratitude.

Sheila said...

Send me chances! Ask and you shall receive :)
Thanks for the blessing of this post Dotty. Wishing you JOY, and warm sun, and time to create :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Glad you welcomed the words of this post, Sheila. Thanks for your wishes for joy, warm sun, and time to create. Got the joy today. Warm sun gave way to a day of snowfall. Barely managed to engage with art today, but I DID, for a few fleeting moments.

carol edan said...

A beautiful lesson, thanks for the reminder of gratitude and simple pleasures. Love the entwining shapes of eternal connections!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for your appreciation of the 'lesson' in my post. I thought of you several times as I played in creating this piece using pencil and sketch marks.

Post a Comment