Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Copy Cat

Lyme disease has earned many names, one of the most common of which is “The Great Imitator” because the condition is so complicated and can often be very difficult to diagnose, mimicking the symptoms of some 350 diseases.

Today at Lyme Camp, I grab at the chance to be a small-peanuts imitator, mimicking someone else's painting because to do so is uncomplicated, because that is how I am able to paint on this day at this time in this place.

The Patience of a Model to Sit Without Moving
acrylic, pencil, and coloring sticks on a book page
study/appropriation of a painting by Michelle Burns
2020


8 comments:

carol edan said...

vive la dif·fé·rence! The frame, the relationships,the depth of color, and the shading! WOW! And of course your choice of model!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, grateful for your drawing (pun acknowledged) attention to the gift, even in imitation, of self-expression at the heart of painting. No matter what we paint, or when, or where, or how, or why, something from within us, some little essence, some snippet of what is unique to us, finds its way to where it is perceptible.

Thanks!

Simone said...

I'm glad to here you are paintaing - no matter what! Nothing wrong with being a copy cat!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thanks for cheering me on. In my days here, I wake up, step into the flow, do whatever presents itself in the moment, SO often not knowing what the next thing will be until it is at my feet. SOMEtimes that thing gets to be painting!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Skew the masters! Copying others is one of the best ways to unstick our mojo. Thank you for educating us on Lyme while you are on this journey. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yes to skewing the masters! Yes to the simple act of creating something where before there was not that something, no matter the inspiration! Thanks for picking up your megaphone to cheer me on!

Well, you're welcome, I guess, about educating you on Lyme. This chronic neurological manifestation is unspeakably difficult.

Sheila said...

There are so many copy cat diseases, I am amazed that Doctors can sort through them all. But I am very thankful that they do ;)
I love your rough, rustic frame :) This sort of makes me think of an abstract take on Olaf the snowman. It has his wonky personality. LOL :)
Happy creating Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thanks for your nod to the rought rustic frame and the wonky olaf personality in this piece!

Post a Comment