Wednesday, January 22, 2020

What Does She DO All Day?

I have a vivid memory of coworker Mary Jane's stopping by the supervisors' office at Landmark School over forty years ago with her weeks-old son. She was the first of my group of colleagues to have a baby. She reported that she couldn't get anything done—could barely get to the bathroom or take a shower or eat. We cooed over her baby's soft skin, took turns holding him, admired his cute little outfit.

Several of us scratched our heads after Mary Jane left, asking each other, "What the heck does she do all day with that baby? How hard can it be?"

hahahahahahaha.

Not only did we find out soon enough on our own what she was talking about, but also …

here I am at Lyme Camp, scratching my head again at how a life situation can turn a previously orderly, intentional, productive, and in-control modus operandi upside down, inside out, and sideways.

Control?

An illusion.

We're never in control.

We just suspend disbelief.

Or forget.


The Thresholds Where Dualities Meet Each Other
acrylic, color sticks, oil pastel, and pencil on a book page
abstract landscape
2020

10 comments:

Simone said...

I love what you write.
I guess Lyme Camp would drive


a) people crazy, or
b) makes them wiser, more loving, more compassionate, more understanding people.

Simone said...

By the way, I love this series of paintings very much!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hoping for wiser, more loving, more compassionate, more understanding; I already have enough crazy going on!

Thank you for reading and responding to what I write. Life-affirming gifts.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Grateful for your feedback! I will carry on!

carol edan said...

Wish I could take a creative writing workshop with you! I always enjoy your words as well as your creations. Yes, life is full of topsy turvy moments, some more than that. But the sun is shining behind those puffy clouds!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Wonder what shape that creative writing workshop might hold. It'd be grand fun, I'm thinking! Thanks for letting me know you enjoy my writing as well as my paintings : )

We've got topsy turvy going big time here—hope that means someone else is being spared!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

OMG I remember those days with an infant....control? Pffffffft! How lovely you have that wisdom to tip into as Lyme Camp shatters illusions. :) AND you are still creating! Zowie.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

glad you get it! and thanks for the zowie! i am happy and grateful to receive all cheerleading and encouragement

Sheila said...

What Carol said... put my name on the list too please :) hahaha. I love your posts Dotty, and your work. And this!!! LOVE. Love how you took those scribbles and chaos and created textures and pure loveliness!
Control, IS an illusion. So true. I am guilty of both, I am sure. LOL :)

Hugs and prayers and LOVE!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

ok, your name is on the list for the creative writing workshop. Someone please remind me periodically that there's a list so that perhaps I'll develop the workshop.

It is early morning as I write from Lyme Camp during the just-opened-my-eyes pocket of solitude that begins each day. I'm between 15 minutes of BrainHQ exercises and 15 minutes of physical exercise. Grateful to chat with you and nourish my soul : ) Thanks for your feedback on The Thresholds, Sheila.

Post a Comment