Saturday, January 4, 2020

Lyme Camp

You might remember that I went to Takodah Family Camp in August 2015, 2016, and 2017 with my daughter Meg and her family. Now, unexpectedly I have taken up residence with them again, this time at their home in Virginia, for what we are calling Lyme Camp in recognition of Meg's recent diagnosis.

Takodah Family Camp runs for a week. My participation at Lyme Camp began mid-December and doesn't have a set end date. I didn't think Lyme Camp was going to have any kind of arts program but it must have had one in the past because, in poking around, I discovered some basic supplies and materials. I also found an ember of creative energy eager to be fanned.

Gratitude/simple pleasures:

• an unexpected few moments in which to move paint onto a book page with my fingers, in which to grab a cray-pas and a charcoal pencil and a marker to make a few scribbles;
• cubing beef; chopping onions, celery, and carrots; and gathering garlic, thyme, and parsley for an instant-pot stew; and
• a prolonged all-family belly laugh as we lingered at the dinner table last evening.

Whether I Can Unlock the Door Remains to Be Seen
playing with acrylic, marker, charcoal pencil, and cray-pas on a book page
abstract
2020


6 comments:

carol edan said...

Your post caught me in surprise! First wishing your daughter all the best! So happy you found supplies. Such courage and strength showing through also hope! Keep fanning your energy! Brachot!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you for the welcome hug of your wishes for Meg. Courage, strength, and hope all being called for here over and over again. Generating this little snippet of art play and looking ahead to the possibility of additional moments of art play uplift me.

Simone said...

Wonderful, Dotty, that you have picked up making art again, this time at Lime Camp! I'm eager to know what Lyme Camp will do for your painting life.
I'm going to pick up my paintig, after months of not painting. I'm glad I'm joining you again in making daily art!

with love,
Simone

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm so glad to be making a bit of art at Lyme Camp against all odds.

and I am totally excited that you will pick up your own painting life again SOON. That will be such a gift of uplift to me!

Sheila said...

Sending prayers for Meg, and all of you. Stew and laughter, great for the soul, and for healing.
Looks like you have unlocked the door, with JOY and wild abandon.
Blessings and quick, complete healing!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thank you for your kind wishes and words of encouragement. I know you speak from a place of knowing when you talk about chronic illness and elusive diagnosis. On we all go : )

Post a Comment