Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Patience

Chronic neurological Lyme disease can take a lonnng time to respond to treatment. We are given abundant opportunity to practice patience here. Overabundant.

Snippets of conditions in which to paint are hard to come by in my current circumstances where there is little to no predictability. I call on the trust I've always held for the unfolding of my creative life, no matter its pace or form.

All right, all right, all right. I confess: I am impatient.

About painting.

About healing.

Especially and repeatedly and fiercely about wanting healing to manifest.

And so it seems only appropriate that I wish to appropriate the concept and cadence of Pat Schneider's poem The Patience of Ordinary Things.

My version:

It's a kind of love, is it not?
How the brown glass bottle holds the tincture,
How the calendar hangs on the wall, with appointments in squares,
How our phones receive the typing of texts
Or emails. How the muscle of our hearts
Knows what it is supposed to do.
I've been thinking about the patience
Of ordinary things, how silverware
Waits patiently in drawers
And dishes dry quietly on the tea towel on the counter,
And bookmarks keep track
Of what page we will read next.
And the lovely repetition of slats in window blinds.
And what is more generous than a painting in progress?


works in progress

6 comments:

carol edan said...

And that small beginning
That splash of color
Gives the soul
The energy of patience!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you!!!

Your lyrical reply
infuses me
with presence
and patience.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oooooooh I love your poetic version of patience. It reminds me to slow the heck down and breathe. Let me be capable of being silverware waiting patiently in drawers.

In progress works. In progress healing. You are headed in the right direction. xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Slowing the heck down to breathe is almost ALWAYS in order, don'tcha think? Indeed, let us be capable of being silverware waiting patiently in drawers.

Thanks for affirming that we're heading in the right direction, Jen!

Sheila said...

Those warm, solid foregrounds are so welcoming. In contrast to the dark, thunderous, skies? Interesting, compelling.
Your words are engaging, soulful, touching. Lovely post my friend :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thank you. Both pages irritate me! I enjoyed the physicality of painting them, the movement of the brush, the varied frictions of moving across paper and over painted areas, but what I saw emerging? Annoying. Nothing for it but to be patient, to sit with what is on the page, to see what comes next.

Grateful that YOU saw warm and solid, welcoming, dark and thunderous, interesting, compelling! Also grateful that my words touched you.

Post a Comment