Thursday, July 14, 2022

Off to the Races

Late afternoon rolls around and I find myself antsy, itching to create something.

Anything. 

I grab a sketchbook last used in February 2019 and tape off the edges of a page to form a border. Then I grab a pen, park myself in front of my bedroom dresser, and impulsively start blind-contour drawing a ceramic bowl and carafe that sit on the dresser-top. 

In no time, I'm off to the races, running full tilt, shifting from one location to another in my bedroom and office, simultaneously rotating the sketchbook as I go. I draw whatever catches my eye: a ceramic pencil holder, a timer, plants in a tin container, a notebook's spiral binding, a bottle of body lotion, part of a postcard—all on the same page. I look at the page only to give myself starting points. I'm a whirling dervish!


Until     I     slow    way    down.


I pivot from impulsive and improvisational to deliberate and focused, fusing all the linework from the frenetic blind-contour drawing with neurographic smoothing.

Eventually I step back, fascinated to see an abstract "circuit board" capturing on paper the pure pleasure of fully engaged process.

---

Now what?

No idea.


work in progress
9 x 12"; ink on drawing paper


2 comments:

carol edan said...

What a remarkable journey! Proves we don't have to travel across the world for inspiration! Can't wait to the colorful journey this piece will take!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, you're ahead of me in thinking color! I am still way up close and personal, zoomed in to each intersection of black ink lines! Color, eh?

Post a Comment