Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Musical

Gigi, My Fair Lady, Kiss Me Kate, Pajama Game, Fiddler on the Roof

Many musicals have won their way into my heart over the years, starting when I was maybe nine years old.

The past few months have felt artistically musical to me. 

As in: muse-ical. 

I've been open to letting muses lead me where they will.

And they are leading me all over the place. To no place I would have thought of on my own.

To my delight.

Over the weekend we visited friends John and Mary in the magical bit of land they call home along the coast of Maine. I woke Saturday morning, early hours, when a muse invited me to do a down-and-dirty-done-in-five-minutes blind contour sketch of a chair and large potted floor plant in our sweet guest accommodations. This is the blindest blind contour of my recent work. Footloose and fancy free.


blind contour wonkiness and wonder

Basic sketch in place, I then began rounding all the corners where lines intersected. I am fascinated by the alchemy that comes from combining blind contour sketching and neurographic smoothing. 


blind contour neurographic alchemy

Back at home I added a few lines, tried something that felt like a mistake, introduced color to resolve the misstep, found myself humming show tunes. 


work in progress


4 comments:

Sheila said...

OH, woonn't this be loverly! ;o) Thank you Dotty, for sharing your joy with us. Your exuberant marks say it all. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, love that you can see the joy—the process thus far has been happily joyously engaging.

carol edan said...

A wonderful technique combining contour with neurographic art. Looks like size is a bit larger! Wonder how the color muse will lead you.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm having a great time going along for the ride to see where the technique of combining contour and neurographic might take me.

I realized with a bit of a chuckle last night that I've created a coloring book page for myself!

I'm wondering what colors and media I'll use as I continue with this piece …

Post a Comment