Friday, April 1, 2022

Toe Pleat

From Without a Map, a memoir by Meredith Hall:

My mother teaches me a lot … 

She tells me I make lovely hospital corners on the beds. But once, watching me change my brother's bed, she scolds me as I lay the top sheet out, smooth and tight. 

"Meredy, a man likes to have room for his feet. You always make a pleat for him like this." She draws the sheet into a ten-inch fold at the foot of the bed, then tucks it in tight. 

"See? You don't need to bother with this on your bed, but you need to learn how to make a man's bed."*

---

How has this lesson never been presented to me before now, me with my husband who kicks a rough tent space for his feet every night and complains every time I pull the covers taut??!

What else do I not know that is hiding in plain sight?


detail, work in progress;
maybe it needs a pleat?


*Damned if I can figure out or find helpful info online as to how to actually make such a pleat.


4 comments:

Sheila said...

Gorgeous So far Dotty. Well, you have me down the rabbit hole. I wanted to see this fold. Haha. I found a mention of The Four Season's Hotel doing this, and there are three video on YouTube, but they show a basic hospital corner. Maybe you do that and just leave some of it loose, tuck it in half way up. Or something. LOL. Good Luck. :)
(I always pull the corner of my sheet up over the bed, so it is loose. Not tucked in. It lays flat and when I sleep my feet have space. LOL.)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, am I understanding correctly that you don't tuck in the bottom edge of a top sheet?

I may just have to go back down the rabbit hole again … !

carol edan said...

Sheets, folds... now how do you get around that with the elastic corner sheets. Here our blankets are in a case, like a pillow so no top sheet, lots of room. Tantalizing WIP.. thinking trees.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I've thought of folding many times with this WIP, as in folding a bad hand in poker. Or pulling a sheet up over it—pleat or no pleat—and walking away. Stay tuned!

Post a Comment