Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Smoothing Rough Edges

Wendy! Thank you for thinking of me when a friend of yours introduced you to the concept of neurographica, also called neurographic art.

More later on neurographica and what it is. 

For now, just two tidbits:

1. I made my first foray with granddaughters Caroline and Emmy over the weekend. 

Such a sweet time we had as we created side by side—sitting together at a table, simple art supplies strewn about us and changing hands repeatedly; companionable chatter, companionable stretches of silence, and companionable laughter filling the air waves.

2. Neurographica involves using your marker to round off all corners that occur in the intersecting lines of your doodle, a step taken with the body that smooths psychological rough edges. The best!

Gma's first foray


Caroline's first foray


Emmy's first foray

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Is it just because I have recently had neurosurgery that I find this neurographic art so gorgeously peaceful? Others will have to weigh in, but I just can't look away! Thanks to you and your grandchildren!!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carolyn! Grab a marker! Creating neurographic art is such a wonderfully soothing, calming, meditative, peaceful process. I am fascinated by what it offers. LOVE that it's compellingly gorgeously beautiful for you to look at : )

Sheila said...

One of the artists in our gathering explored this is February. It was so interesting to see each day. There is something very compelling. And soothing to me. I love each of these. Playful, fun, calming. And the rounded shapes, soft edges, make me think of a hug. Being encompassed by the one you love. xoxox

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, I enjoyed your feedback. There IS something compelling, both in the viewing and in the creating of these neurographica. All day I've stopped periodically to keep working on the one I currently have in progress—for the playfulness, the calming, the hug : )

carol edan said...

Serendipity? Coincidence? I have been experimenting with neurographica art for about 2 weeks. Found the term by chance in a post on Sketchbook Revival. Love all your work! I find it soothing and meditative and if it helps neuro connections win win!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol! Share your neurographica—I'm eager to see! What fun that we've both dipped into the soothing meditative waters.

I've stayed up past a reasonable bedtime more than once already, completely absorbed by the gift of calm neuro connections, and then left my pens and papers and colors out in plain view where I see them upon waking, immediately pick them up, start playing again, and become oblivious to any calendar or checklist enumerating what I "should" be doing instead.

carol edan said...

Yes, it can become obsessive. I will try to get a blog post up. Some of my work has gone into hiding. Will share via email a few from sketchbook and on I found on my stand.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

It feels great to have a current art obsession : )

Post a Comment