Friday, March 25, 2022

Do-Over

I notice that I am telling stories lately about not getting to my studio, not painting, not being able to get my bearings creatively, not this, not that. 

Anyone else noticing negativity in my self-talk? Resistance?

Yeah. 

Not great stories. 

I don't want to hear them, and I'm the one telling them!

Today I woke up, got myself outdoors for my predawn prayer walk, exhorted myself to loosen the story knot.

And I did. 

Oddly, I never once turned my attention to my painting stories. Instead, I asked my mom, dead six years now, if we could have a do-over of a conversation we first had in 1988 or 89. She was game. It went much better this time. My heart opened.

It has stayed open all day.

The Courage to Share Our Most Authentic Selves
1.75 x 6" bookmark
acrylic, ink, pastel, and collage on paper,
mounted on cardstock
abstract
2022

not for sale


6 comments:

carol edan said...

Glad to see you back, stories or not, art work or not! Lovely bookmark, does it go with a special book? Feeling lots of resistance! The war has taken and is taking its course. DNA from there and Russia.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, greetings! Thanks for your welcoming me back. Glad to BE back! The bookmark goes with the book on which it is resting, Brené Brown's ATLAS OF THE HEART which I have already read twice in book form and have on hold now as an audiobook so I can have it read to me by Brené. I will be giving a copy as a gift in tandem with the bookmark.

Hugs to you as you navigate the toll of the war. Shalom aleichem.

Sheila said...

Resistance, yes. So nice to see you Dotty. You always inspire. I have been thinking of conversations with my Dad. One I wish I could change. I like your idea. :) So happy to see your lively bookmark. Sort of map like. Paths, choices, possibilities. Your work is always a welcome blessing. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, hello! By all means, talk with your dad. Dialogue. A conversational map will present itself with paths, choices, possibilities. Go exploring with your dad.

Thank you for your feedback.

Simone said...

thanks Dotty, for your stories! LOOTS of stories here toe, it's good to see them as stories, and untie the knot a bit!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, yes, yes, yes, good to recognize stories as the stories they are, and to loosen the story knots!

[When I remember.]

Post a Comment