Sunday, February 16, 2020

Letting Go of Same Old Same Old

Taking advantage of neuroplasticity involves change. That's what neuroplasticity is—change: the brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections, allowing for neurons to compensate for injury and disease and to adjust their activities in response to new situations or circumstances in their environment. 

Those in the process of deliberate neural rewiring are often encouraged to alter daily routines as a way to assist the brain in changing habitual neural patterns, for example by taking a different route from usual or doing tasks with their non-dominant hand. They are also encouraged to modify their surroundings in some way, perhaps by rearranging furniture, to give an added symbolic and visual indicator of the activated process of internal change.

Speaking of change, Dave and I decided in late December to take advantage of my being away in Virginia to go ahead with existing plans to renovate my study, so not only did I arrive home Friday to discover Christmas decorations still in place but also to this:

my study, ordinarily the absolute hub of all executive systems
and the place in which I meet with tutees
my art studio, now the repository
for some of my displaced systems
art studio, different view
guest room; more displaced items
and more
and more

The day I arrived home we also discovered water puddled in the cabinet space underneath the kitchen sink, so we pulled everything out of that space and put it elsewhere, and we haven't been able to use the sink for two days.

I am rockin' change, I tell ya—no more same old same old for me.

Dave is rewiring my study; I'm rewiring my brain.

Think of the new neurons! the new synapses! the new dendrites!

9 comments:

carol edan said...

I am really hooked on this "neuroplasticity". Any books (kindergarten level)? I think that the starts that I am doing in my new course may be some sort exercise: intuitive painting, turning the work 90 degrees after each step, working through a groups of prompts etc. What surprises! Oh, I am in love with that window!

Simone said...

I wish you strength and wisdom, and if possible a little fun bye clearing out and letting go! It probably will leave you with a lot of energy. Hope the 'water-problem' will get solved soon.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I don't know about a 'kindergarten' level book but I bet, in fact, there is a children's book about neuroplasticity. However, at the adult level, Norman Doidge is one person's work that I've read—absolutely fascinating. I'm glad you keep mentioning the course you're taking; please continue to do so.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you for your wishes, Simone—they are just the hug I welcome! And thank you for turning my attention to the the fun that will come from clearing out and letting go; I'm grateful to be reminded that I won't stay 'stuck' in the immediacy of my current disorientation.

Newsflash: the part for the sink arrived yesterday and Dave made the repair!

carol edan said...

I am going to order his book The Brain that Changes Itself.Thanks for pointing me in his direction. Hopefully I will post more on the course in my blog as I start the editing part, which I find the hardest part.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Dendrites! Synapses! WOOOOHOOOOOO! I love that you are embracing all the change and going with the flow....even if it is the flow of water under cabinets - ha! You are my hero!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Grateful for your support and encouragement, Jen; you might remember that complaining is second nature to me ! I am working hard, and against my nature, to turn the spotlight of my attention onto looking for the treasures.

Sheila said...

Dotty you continue to be such an inspiration!! LOVE your study. WOW :) The book is on my list, and I am so excited to see your new space. Your attitude is uplifting :) Glad the sink is fixed. One less thing :) LOL :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hard hard work to 'be such an inspiration' but I am inspired to continue my efforts when I see how welcome an uplifted attitude can be in this world. Your feedback and that of others in turn uplifts me back; it's an upward spiral for which I am grateful.

Post a Comment