Saturday, October 15, 2022

But That's Just Scribbles

My mom's friend Lida tells me, sometime after my mom's death, the story of sharing some of her whimsical colorful art with my mom who responds with, "But that's just scribbles," or something along those lines.

Well, Yes, Mom! Scribbles! Art doesn't get any better! 

Artist Jane Davies writes a blog post about scribbling yesterday. Her scribbles and her post are compelling, and off I go to my studio this afternoon realizing I might be able to make use of some painted scribbles that hadn't worked for a project I had in mind. Maybe I could capitalize on them now.

To my surprise I have a little trouble finding my groove but soon enough I am totally in flow. Off to the races with heart-opening scribbles. Hot damn! 

I want a stretch knit sheath dress with a little sheen and exquisite drape created with this scribble as its print.



The Best Conversation She's Overheard
Since She Started Waitressing
3.5 x 5"; acrylic, ink, charcoal, and charcoal pencil
on canvas paper
abstract/scribbles
2022


6 comments:

Sheila said...

Haha! YES! That would be gorgeous! It already sparkles. I love the canvas texture showing through. I love the winding, loop de loop eye roller coaster! Wee! :)

carol edan said...

Just love your scribbles. Also saw Jane's post! The contrast of lines, textures, flat shapes really works! Yes, sometimes hard to start, but that little push, and then the FLOW!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Playing in this way turned out to be such a gift in my day. Gotta love scribbles! I got a little 'deliberate' at one point in spite of myself and felt disgruntled and out of flow, then grabbed a different pen and got back to spontaneous scribbling; whole universe opened up. Thanks for your feedback, Sheila, re sparkle, texture, and roller coaster : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you! Fun that you saw Jane's post also. It was just the ticket for me yesterday. I value you your visual language feedback, your notice of contrast of lines, textures, and flat shapes. And yes to the tipping point into FLOW!

Simone said...

Thanks for your inspiring post, makes me want to jump up and get back to scribbles NOW!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, I thought of you as I made these scribbles! Happy to get your comment : )

Post a Comment