Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Ugly Duckling

I neglected to take a photo of the start for this piece. It was soft swirls of pale blue and lavender that came from cleaning my brush after painting one afternoon while talking on the phone with long-time friend and artist Sylvia. 

I picked up the start yesterday with mark-making as my game plan. After quickly throwing scribbles, lines, dots, and dashes into place over the course of a few minutes, here's where I ended up.

Nothing about it calls to me. 

It's no more than 5 x 7". It served a purpose as a vehicle for transporting me into flow for awhile, and I could easily pitch it now, move on, and probably forget it altogether.

Or I could stash it with other pieces I've abandoned, pieces that do often come to life in some unexpected way days, months, or years later.

But I've been surprised way more than once when I've been able to turn a piece that offends my eye into something that I end up liking. A lot. 

I'm going to fiddle with this one a little more to see what might emerge, and I'll try to remember to document the process. 

I have to say, though, right now, the trash seems like a perfectly reasonable option. 




7 comments:

dotty seiter: now playing said...

True dat! I usually steer clear of ugly/beautiful discussion in my blog altogether for just that reason.

Thanks for commenting, Bo : )

Sheila said...

Reminds me of sitting in the backseat, while my Dad drove through the mountains. And the distant scenery is visible in spurts, peeking through the trees. Nice light here. Nice base too, for what is to come. :)

carol edan said...

Certainly agree with Bo. Being so far away from the New England splendor of fall, it really talks to me. No trash, just put it aside!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

LOL, Carol, because in another recent conversation with friend Sylvia I mentioned that I usually choose to write more in my blog about process than about whether or not I 'like' what I've produced, wanting not to influence viewers one way or another. As evidenced here, however, I see that my followers have their own responses regardless of what my opinion might be : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, so happy these scribbles and splashes were so evocative for you—those memories you described were exactly what I was after.

Simone said...

I'm glad to read in a later post that you didn't throw it in the bin!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

LOL!

Post a Comment