Thursday, August 11, 2022

On My Nightstand, On My Easel 8/11/22

On my nightstand:

The implied belief is that we are wasting our time/materials/resources if we are not working towards a product, a finished piece. This belief, so ingrained in our daily lives, is probably one of the most challenging habits of mind to break. And yet I know that if I am trying to make good art, I make mediocre contrived, superficial art. When I get absorbed in a visual inquiry, absorbed in process, allow myself to go "off-topic" or make a mess or try combining ideas to see what happens ... this is when the good stuff shows up. 

Jane Davies

On my easel:

Carol Edan, thank you for sparks of ideas flying through your recent blog post. I grabbed a brush, a few tubes of paint, and covered a sheet of 9 x 12" drawing paper a few days ago. With select folds, a pair of scissors, and a glue stick, I created a simple 3 x 4.5" sketchbook with front and back cover, and six interior pages to play with. Today I developed the covers using a uniball ink pen.



9 x 12"; acrylic on drawing paper


9 x 12" page of drawing paper
folded into 3 x 4.5" sketchbook


sketchbook covers, work in progress


6 comments:

carol edan said...

Thank you for the mentions! Love those covers and the neurographic lines. These little sketchbook gems can make lovely gifts!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Have you made more of these sketchbooks? Have you developed the one from your post, or was it already self-developed, and just waiting to be folded into book form?

I am wondering what I will do next with mine. Thanks for your encouragement.

Sheila said...

You have so much fun! Love this! More fab fun in store! Enjoy Dotty! :)

carol edan said...

I haven't made any more; I gifted one and the one on blog I am leaving in its rough stage. Plan to use it for a series in oils and cold wax. I am working on a large piece, 28"x14" for summer critique due to send by 7th of sept. It is almost done. Actually, I am working on 2 as a diptyque but will send only one. Can I helped in getting your creative juices goining!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila! I don't take that fun for granted. I'm so grateful to be creating again after some pronounced hiatuses (hiati?) off and on in the past few years.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

All sounds terrific—one folded sketch book given as a gift, one staying in rough stage for a series in oils and cold wax, working on a large piece for summer critique. You are in motion!

Post a Comment