Thursday, January 20, 2022

Wide Open

OK, I have to tell you about a collage class I took probably 20 or more years ago. Local live class about twelve minutes from my home. First time I'd signed up for an art class probably since college back in the early 70's. Turned out to be horrible. 

Turned out I didn't really undertstand what collage was and I had no idea that it had any relationship to painting. Turned out the instructor was not a good fit. Turned out I cried driving home from class more than once. 

GOOD thing I had a friend who said, "You can drop the class, you know." Hadn't even occurred to me.

I dropped the class.

Whew! That was a relief.

---

Turns out all these years later: I LOVE COLLAGE! 

Who knew?!

The artist in me has her heart and soul wide open to the fun of it!

I present you with a little light reading here.

A Room Full of Open Windows and Doors
3.75 x 5.5" postcard, acrylic, collage, 
and oil pastel on card stock
abstract
2022

14 comments:

Laurie Mueller said...

Hi Dotty!
I love this story, and I love YOUR enthusiasm!

Laurie Mueller said...

Wow! It let me comment! Woohoo!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Laurie! Hello, friend! My long ago history with collage just makes me laugh. That class was SO painful. But look at me now!!! Thanks for your cheerleading : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Woohoo, indeed! Have you tried commenting previously w/o success? I know a few followers can't seem to comment and I don't have a clue how to rectify the situation : (

The Charmed Studio Blog said...

Great story Dotty. Here's to the second time round! And to believing in ourselves. And here's to all the wonderful art teachers out there in your reading audience who would have gotten you and wouldn't of had you crying on the way home.
Cheers.

carol edan said...

Loving these small creations! Each square and its message!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thea, thank you for your comments. I'm especially tuning in to your shout out to 'all the wonderful art teachers out there'—the roles of teacher and student are what have long stood out to me in that story of mine. I learned much through my experience of that particular class, 99% of which was not what I had expected but probably all of it of value, even if largely painful in the learning!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for tuning into the 'small' of this art, and the even smaller within the small! I come away from painting such pieces and blink in astonishment as I 'come to' again after having felt completely immersed in a vast limitless creative space.

Simone said...

Yes, I love the patchwork-like collage. Each square is wonderful, and together they're perfect! (Love the small texts, too!)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Great to get your feedback, Simone, your noticing of the parts and the sum of the parts, along with the small texts, too. Working on this piece was so satisfying and engaging!

Laurie Mueller said...

Yes, for a long time I couldn’t comment- it kept wanting me to sign into google, which I did, but then something else would go awry (can’t remember). It was like my sign in wasn’t good enough🤣. So I randomly tried again, voila- here I am and here you are. We meet again💜

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for letting me know. I wish I understood; I know others have experienced the same nonsense. Happy that you can now get through!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

This story! And a later-in-life-falling-for-collage - a tale of the human!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

yes indeedy-do: a tale of the human! thanks for doing a little light reading here : )

Post a Comment