Sunday, January 30, 2022

Noticings

I step into each day with … well, with steps! 

The ditty on Dave's phone gently nudges us from rest to wakefulness, we move out from under the covers and make up the bed, and I dress and head outdoors into the velvet of predawn for my daily prayer walk of 5,000-6,000 steps. 

With my feet in motion, I set intentions, open my heart to listen and notice.

From there the rest of the day unfolds, with all its colors and layers and surprises and mistakes and excavations and accomplishments and inadvertencies. 

I notice where my attention is as often as I'm able.

The following passage by Myla Kabat-Zinn in Everyday Blessings catches my attention a few days ago. It is exactly what I need to hear.

My ten-year-old daughter, in bed, lights out, says to me:

“Mommy, I feel so confused.”

I reply: “What are you confused about?”

She says: “I don’t know, I just feel confused.”

I struggle with my urge to make it better … “It’s okay to feel confused.”

She says: “It is?”

I say: “Yes, it is.”



Phone Conversation on a Snow Day
4 x 5.5" postcard; acrylic, collage, and oil pastel
on card stock
abstract
2022

 

10 comments:

Bo's Blog said...

❄️❤️❄️
Art and collage
Plus blizzard and phone call
Brings heart full collage.


dotty seiter: now playing said...

well hot diggity, Bo! You were able to post a comment!thx!
❤️❤️❤️

Sheila said...

Frosty Fun :)

carol edan said...

Hearts full of messages! Love that quote! Needed that!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Oh! Love that you see frostiness here, Sheila! We certainly are in the middle of frosty winter as I create inside my cozy studio.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, glad the quoted words touched you as well. LOL—I never made the connection to candy conversation hearts as I was painting!!!

Simone said...

What a lovely quote, and: I love the beautiful tiny texts in your postcard!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Greetings, Simone! The quoted material is from a beautiful book about mindfulness in parenting. When I read that little bit, I was able to give myself a mother's hug : )

Glad you like the snippets of text, also!

Thanks for your comments.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

your art piece makes me nostalgic for candy hearts and candy bracelets! And that quote...perfection.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Omg: candy bracelets! Forgot all about those!

yeah, the quotation really spoke to me—arrived like a hug, embraced me, induced a shoulder-dropping full breath, brought me back to center.

Post a Comment