Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Pull of the Brush

I didn't go to Monhegan with preconceived notions of what I would paint. I suspected I'd stay with what I'll loosely call abstract expressionism but I was open to the possibility that I might want to paint representationally. The only thing I knew for sure was that I'd paint with watercolors.

Once on the island, though, I was surprised by how strongly I felt the following: I didn't feel called at all to paint recognizable scenes. I didn't want to paint Monhegan, I wanted to be at Monhegan and paint.

Early Morning Undulations of Trail and Cove
4.5x6"; watercolor and ink on watercolor paper
abstract
2018

Ironically, I arrived home to find in the mail the delightful gift of a representational, entirely recognizable scene of some Camp Takodah buildings, painted evocatively and to great effect, with watercolors, by my camp friend Jane!



10 comments:

carol edan said...

You can't get away from the sun and sea! Love the dripping and the way the colors play with each other!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for your feedback, Carol. My loose intent was to get some watery color on paper and then play with dots. Done. While there is nothing literally respresentational here, it is entirely evocative of the final-day hike my dad and I took across Monhegan, early on a resplendently sunny morning, from cottage through woods to cove and open ocean.

Simone said...

I love how you say this: I don't want to paint Monhegan - I want to BE there AND paint! Love it!!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, so glad you "got" what I was saying—it was so hard to figure out how to convey that idea with written language; definitely something easier to speak than to write. Yay that my words resonated with you!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Isn't it delightful how well the two pieces go together?

Janet Bradish said...

I think you got the 'order' of things spot on - 'be there and paint'! And look at what you have painted. Agree with Jen - these two pieces are a 'fit'. Have a lovely day Dotty!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

So much serendipity for the bumping into : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Janet, thanks for your affirmation of my wanting to 'be there and paint' and for your taking delight in what unfolded!

Lovin' the fit of these two paintings right along with you and Jen : )

Sheila said...

Just love the light airy feel to this. Looking up at the clouds, and birds. Nowhere to be and nothing to do :)
Love the colorful cabins :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Love your words here, Sheila—"light airy," "nowhere to be and nothing to do." This painting, in the making, was completely literal, with my mind (ever so loosely!) on shape, flow, color, contrast, composition, and harmony. It wasn't until after the fact when I went to title it, that I saw it as the painted embodiment of the hike my dad and I took our last day on Monhegan, which had exactly the feel to it that you put words to.

I love that you see this and look up at clouds and birds. I find myself as the bird highest in the sky, looking down from an aeriel perspective : )

Isn't Jane's rendering of the colorful Takodah buildings terrific?

Post a Comment